Dr. Jean-Paul Brutus
Dr. Jean-Paul Brutus is a specialized hand and wrist surgeon. He studied plastic surgery and completed a fellowship in upper limb orthopaedics. His practice is dedicated entirely to treating hands, wrists, and elbows. In 2015, he co-founded Exception MD, a private medical clinic in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Exceptional care for every patient.
Dr. Brutus is from Belgium, where he studied medicine. He completed his residency in plastic and reconstructive surgery in Brussels before moving to the United States to pursue a postdoctoral fellowship in hand and upper limb surgery at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York. He also completed postdoctoral research at SUNY Upstate’s Institute for Human Performance.
He moved to Montreal in 2005 after accepting a job as an adjunct professor of plastic surgery at the Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal. He also pursued his medical career at Hôpital de la Cité de la santé in Laval.
Dr. Brutus is certified by the Royal Belgian Society for Plastic Surgery and is licensed by the Collège des médecins du Québec.
Exception MD Clinic
MEET YOUR HAND EXPERT
A first step towards recovery
A leader in hand and arm surgery
Dr. Brutus is the only surgeon in Canada whose private practice is dedicated exclusively to hands and wrists.
He is recognized as one of Canada’s foremost experts in treating hand conditions, including carpal tunnel syndrome, lacertus syndrome, trigger finger, Dupuytren’s contracture, and arthritis of the thumb. He has performed more endoscopic carpal tunnel releases than any other surgeon in Canada and is the only surgeon in the country using the endoscopic technique to treat trigger finger.
He is among the few hand surgeons in the world who has been trained to recognize and treat lacertus syndrome. He is a recognized expert who is regularly invited to speak about his expertise.
Through his clinical practice and research, he has helped perfect several minimally invasive treatment techniques, including endoscopic surgery and the WALANT anesthesia technique.
He has more than 20 years of experience and has performed more than 15,000 surgeries.
Dr. Brutus has treated thousands of patients from every background and walk of life. All of them, be they artists, professional athletes, doctors, dentists, hairdressers, police officers, members of the military, pilots, homemakers, or retirees, have one thing in common—their hands are a crucial part of who they are and what they do.
Dr. Brutus has helped make an impact thanks to his passion, energy, compassion, and commitment. He believes there’s always a way to improve the solutions and care offered to patients, and this belief drives him every day.
MEET YOUR HAND EXPERT
Say goodbye to pain today
Why choose Dr. Brutus?
- Dr. Brutus has more than 20 years of experience. He has helped develop and improve several different surgical techniques for treating hand conditions. He has performed more than 15,000 surgeries, a majority of which have been releases for carpal tunnel and trigger finger.
- He offers comprehensive, compassionate care, with every patient receiving a completely personalized treatment plan.
- Dr. Brutus is regularly invited to speak at international conferences and conventions and is recognized as a pioneer in minimally invasive hand surgery in Canada.
- He is the only Canadian surgeon with a private practice dedicated exclusively to treating hands and wrists.
- Dr. Brutus offers a uniquely patient-centric approach to medicine that is hands-on, supportive, and kind.
- His ratings on Google Reviews and professional medical sites such as RateMDs are excellent.
with Dr. Brutus
Dr. Brutus is very involved in organizations that help those experiencing homelessness and mental illness. In 2016, he published a book entitled Helping Hands eand organizes an annual winter clothing drive at his clinic, Exception MD. He has also been involved for several years in recruiting volunteers for the Welcome Hall Mission in Montreal.